Case Commissioner v Duberstein Facts of the case: Case Year: 1951Taxpayer: Duberstein – President of Duberstein Iron & Metal CompanyBusiness Friend: Berman – Mohawk Metal CorporationSynopsis:Duberstein and Berman’s company have done numerous business in the past. The two companies are in different states, so all business has been completed via telephone. The business consisted mostly of buying and selling of metals between the two companies. After seven years of business between the two companies Duberstein and Berman considered each other “personal” acquaintances. During their phone conversations Berman would ask Duberstein for references for potential customers that his company was not interested in. In 1951, Berman telephoned Duberstein and said the information on the potential customers provided was very helpful and he would like to give Duberstein a present. Berman insisted and presented Duberstein with a Cadillac as a gift. Duberstein testified that he did not think Berman would have gifted the Cadillac if it were not for the information Duberstein provided. Berman also classified the gifted Cadillac as a business expense on Mohawk’s Metal Corp income tax return. Issue:Duberstein did not include the value of the Cadillac in gross income on his 1951 tax return. Outcome:The record lacks evidence revealing any intention of the payor(Berman) making a gift. It was concluded that the automobile was intended by Berman as compensation for services rendered by Duberstein. Analysis: The fact that the Cadillac was gifted to Duberstein after he provided information to Berman on potential customers classifies this as Gross Income for Duberstein. It is not a gift if “the incentive of anticipated benefit of an economic nature” is present. Also what I believe solidifies this, is the fact that Berman expensed the automobile on Mohawk’s corporate tax return as a business expense. Therefore, he clearly did not classify the Cadillac as a “gift”.
Why work with us?
Authenticity:All of our papers are authentic, as each paper of ours is composed according to your unique requirements. Confidentiality: We value you data. Our company is extremely efficient in guarding the privacy of our clients. 100% Money Back Guarantee: In the event you cancel your order, you get your money back as soon as possible, we give a 100% refund. 24/7 Support: Our team members are available via email, live chat, and phone. Revision Policy: You can apply for a revision if you think your paper could be better. In this case, your paper will be revised either by the specialist assigned to you or by another writer.
How the Platform Works
- Click on 'Place Your Order' tab on the menu or click on 'Order Now' tab at the bottom and a new order page will appear
- Fill in your requirements depending on your needs under the 'PAPER DETAILS' area
- In the next section, fill in the academic level, required number of pages, paper deadline as provided in the drop-down menus.
- To enter your registration details, click on 'CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN'. This step allows you to create an account with us for purposes of record-keeping. Click on 'PROCEED TO CHECK OUT' at the bottom of the page
- The next section requires you to fill in the payment details. Follow the guided process and soon your order will be available for our team to work on.